Win exciting stickers and goodies!
You wanna have a free cool T-shirt and coding stickers like cool developers!
Hacktober is one such event for you guys.
Hey guys, a quick tour on to how to participate in Hacktober, how to merge our PR’s and how we will be able to manage to get amazing goodies from them.
Ignore this part if you are not interested in knowing Hacktober history!
Hacktoberfest, in its 8th year, is a month-long celebration of open source software run by DigitalOcean. During the month of October, they invite you to join open-source software enthusiasts, beginners, and the developer community by contributing to open-source projects
- Go to hacktober site url(https://hacktoberfest.digitalocean.com/).
- Click on start hacking and you will be asked to signup with GitHub(most preferably open-source site up until now).
- If you already have an account go ahead if not set up an account on Github (https://github.com/).
- After signing up, GitHub will ask to authorize hacktober (this is for security purposes).
- Once this is done now you are all set to make PR’s in Github and they will be shown on Hacktober user profile.
CONTRIBUTION TO REPOSITORIES
There are two ways we can contribute to Hacktober either searching for public repos labeled ‘hacktoberfest’ or ask any acquaintance to make a new repo and label it as ‘hacktoberfest’
Labeling of the repo is necessary for getting considered in Hacktober!
- Fork the repo in which you will contribute and considering that it must have Hacktober label on it.
2. After forking it copy the link of that repo as shown below.
3. I am assuming you have git installed on your computer, go to your desktop files and right-click on blank space, click git bash here and copy this command
git clone 'paste the link here without inverted quotes'
4. This will create a local file of that repo in your pc/laptop, saved on the desktop
5. Now open this file using VS code or any of your fav editor, do some changes like creating new files or adding code to existing files etc.
6. After doing some changes open the terminal of VS code or your editor doing ctrl +` (control + backtick). and copy these commands.
git add .
To stage the unstaged files
git commit -m "type message"
To commit ie. to save all the changes made so far.
To push the changes from local repo(repo on desktop) to head repo (Github repo)
7. Now jump on your repo on GitHub and it’s time to make a pull request(PR).
Go to the pull request column and click the new pull request
8. As you see down in the image, add a heading to your pull request and a small description describing the changes you made.
Make sure we have that green tick able to merge unless we will have to resolve the conflicts first.
9. After this click on create a pull request and kudos there you made your pull request.
10. Now ask the owner of the base repo to consider the changes that you have made and merge it if it is good to go.
Once the PR is successfully merged
Kudos! you made your first contribution to Open-source as well as this PR will be counted for the Hacktoberfest.
IMP: In order to receive goodies we have to make at least 4 PR’s and it takes 14 days for them to get matured ie. approved.
Small task — Comment down #done once all your 4 PR’s get approved!
Till then Happing coding :)
Refer to this page if you still have a query left in your mind about @hacktober
Open source is changing the world - one contribution at a time.
Wow! You still here, then connect with me :)
Github — https://github.com/uditkatyal
Twitter — https://twitter.com/katyal_udit
Instagram — https://www.instagram.com/udit_katyal_/
World Opensource has made coding fun for coders.
— Udit Katyal